Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Grey Wood Overnight . . . Without Painting

Into This
How to Turn This


Overnight

Have you ever wanted to distress wood only to find out that its an overwhelming process? Or wanted to purchase old barn wood but was turned off by the cost? 

This method would have come in handy a few weeks ago when I was working on a frame for my son's room.  Frustrated with the quote I was given at the frame shop, I gave up and made it myself. But when it came time to give the new wood an old look, I was intimidated by the process of distressing. I gave up and dry brushed the wood with different shades of greys and white paints. It looks good but it wasn't what I originally wanted.

I recently came across this process and immediately thought it couldn't be that easy. Well, turns out, its even easier than I thought. After trail and error, I came up with this technique and its so simple, you'll be rushing out to the lumber yard.

Supplies

Vinegar
Steel wool pad
Water
Old cloth
2 Cups or bowls
 
Step 1:  The night before you want to start, put a steel wool pad in the bottom of a cup or bowl.  Pour two cups of vinegar over the pad and allow to sit overnight.
 
Step 2:  This is where the trial and error comes in. Depending upon how dark you wish the wood to be and how well the wood takes this process determines what you do next. You have to test and retest on small areas of the wood.
 
In a separate bowl or cup, pour one cup of vinegar and 1 cup of water.  With the old cloth, rub some of the mixture on a test area of the wood. You must allow it to dry in order to see the true color.  Of course, older wood, rough wood and different grains of wood will absorb the process differently so be sure to test, test, test.
 
If this process is too dark, add more water.
If this process is too light, add more vinegar or do the next step.
 
Step 3:  Now, my wood was new pine and would not absorb the process well. What I did was take the steel wool pad directly from the vinegar and rubbed the wood with it.  If you do this, be sure to rub the pad with the grain. It took a few applications to achieve the desired look.
 
Try this and let me know how much you love it.


No comments:

Post a Comment