Saturday, June 15, 2013

How to get Grease or Oil Out of Just About Anything

Mint Juleps 'n Muddin': Dawn Dish Detergent Stain Remover

You've heard me sing the graces of Dawn dish detergent in the past but did you know that it is The Best thing to use on greasy clothes?  No joke.

Dawn testimony.
Countless times I've laundered an article of clothing only to find an oil stain on it after pulling it out of the dryer. Years ago, I would have sprayed it with everything on the market, scrubbed it until my hands were raw, washed it a zillion times, and eventually give up, and throw it out. Not anymore. Now, I don't panic. I just pour straight Dawn on the stain, throw it back in the hamper and wash it again a day or two later with the rest of the laundry. I don't scrub. I don't rub. I just let it set and allow the Dawn to do the work for me.

Putting Dawn to the test.
If the last claim wasn't amazing enough, I've got one to top that.  My son's vehicle broke last year and he and a friend worked on it. After repairing, they both came in with thick grease all over their clothes. Now, the white t-shirts, even Dawn couldn't save but the jeans, the jeans were a different story. I poured straight Dawn on them. Allowing the jeans to sit over night, I then wash them alone in the washer. To my amazement, they came out of the wash stain-free. Afterwards, I ran laundry detergent, a tablespoon of Dawn, and bleach through an empty load just to make sure no grease was left in the washer.

One more testimony.
My brother was working on a tractor with a hydraulic leak; in new clothes.  Hydraulic fluid poured all over his pants. Straight Dawn on those saved the day and kept him out of the dog house for ruining a new  pair of pants.

It works on butter, meat grease, vegetable oil, motor oil, hydraulic fluid, transmission oil, gear grease or rear end dope, and just about any oil or grease that a mechanic can get cover in.

So the moral to the story.
Don't throw out clothes that are covered in oil or grease before trying straight, cheap, blue Dawn on it first. You might just be amazed at what you can save.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment