Sunday, June 30, 2013

Tips on How to Survive a Long Wait at the Doctor

Mint Juleps 'n Muddin' Long wait tips

Seems like we wait for everything these days; to pay for your groceries, to see the bank teller, and the craziest of all . . . to see the doctor. It's pure insanity to wait an hour and a half to two hours to see a doctor when you are sick or hurting. They ask you sit in their hard, uncomfortable chairs and try not to pass out until you can be seen.

Its nothing to wait an hour before being called back. Then, you wait another 45 minutes before you see the doctor. It drives me nuts that after all this waiting, they want to take your blood pressure and want to know why its so high. Hello?
 
Well, I've learned the hard way that you have to occupy the mind. The longer I sit flipping thru magazines that don't interest me, the more annoyed I get. The more annoyed I get, the more I hurt or sick I feel.

I'm not above taking a cushion with me. When I ruptured a disc in my back and was in excruciating pain, I would take a memory foam cushion with me every where I went. When I went to a doctor's appointments, I took a cute soft sided bag, threw in a cushion, a book and some magazines. These things helped keep me sane. Take a cushion, a small throw blanket, what ever helps to make you more comfortable.
 
Prepare for the worse and hope for the best.  In other words, be prepared to wait for an hour or two. Set your mind that its going to take that long and if it doesn't, you will be pleasantly surprised.
 
Always take something with you that interest you; you're favorite magazine, a good book, a fun game on you're phone. My favorite way to pass the time is also relaxing. I like to surf the web on my phone, searching for places I'd love to travel. However, if the office you're at doesn't offer free wifi, you'll need to watch your usage, which could cause stress all on its own.

If you're a writer, take a notebook and pen with you and brainstorm new stories. You never know what could be inspiring; the receptionist, nurse or another patient. If you enjoy drawing, take a sketch pad and charcoals. Sketch the waiting room, doctor or nurse. These could become memory albums.

If you have a party that you need to plan, take a notebook and search the web on your phone for inexpensive ideas of how to make it awesome. You can even mention what you're doing to others and they may offer you ideas. Search pinterest for decorating tips and gift idea.
 
The bottom line, we're always gonna wait for something, its what you do with that time that determines if you're gonna be miserable or not. Why not do something that you never take time to do, like read or dream or plan? You might just be surprised at how fast the time seems to go by and get a few things done that might otherwise fall to the wayside.

No comments:

Post a Comment