Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Deep South Pickled Snacks



As a small child, I remember going into local convenience stores and seeing huge jars full of these tasty, hot treats. You would buy them by the piece; one egg or a few sausages for a few cents. Hard to imagine that anyone would want to do that now. I sure as heck wouldn't. The thought of who was fishing those items out and how, would gross me out. I have seen, in a few places, where you can buy these large jars, but who wants to do that? They would go to waste in my house.

To my delight, my hubby, my better half, came across this simple recipe and his nostalgia kicked in. He was quickly searching for the ingredients and put them to use. "Honey, do we have . . .," I heard several times but it was well worth the bother and cleanup. Before I knew it, he had these jars made and I was waiting for these mouthwatering snacks to pickle.

Ingredients

4 Cups of Water
2 Tbsp. of Salt
2 Tbsp. of Hot Sauce
4 Cups of White Vinegar
10 Drops of Red Food Coloring
Large Pkg. of Smoked Cocktail Beef Sausages
1 Dozen Boiled and Peeled Eggs
Jars and lids (I like the wide mouth for eggs.)
 
In a large pot, combine water, salt, vinegar, hot sauce and food coloring.  Allow to boil for 10 minutes. This will make enough to fill 4 quart jars.
 
Pack a jar with sausages and another with eggs. Depending on the size of the eggs and the amount of sausages you buy will determine the number of jars you will need.
 
Pour the hot liquid over the items in your jars. Fill jars to about a quarter of an inch from the top. Seal and allow to cool, then refrigerate. Allow items to refrigerate for 5 days before serving.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment